Whenever I am consulting with clients, they may like asparagus and broccoli, or carrots and tomatoes, but rarely do they LOVE vegetables. Sound familiar? The trick is to figure out a way to create a tasty meal that is loaded with healthy carbohydrates, proteins and fats. You CAN have your flavor and eat it too!
When I get home from work, I know I have to make a big, healthy salad for tomorrow. I don’t want to, I always think of several other activities that I would rather do. But…I know that I need to do it for myself. I will be happier tomorrow! When you have that moment where you decide to pack your lunch or wing it, recall how you feel after eating fast food. The best option for you and your fitness goals is to go all-natural.
So, here are the simple steps I follow to create a quick, simple salad in no time:
1. Use whatever “greens” available as the base-spinach, spring mix, romaine, etc.
2. Slice one small tomato or add 2 Tbsp. of salsa.
3. Protein options: beans, cottage cheese, grilled chicken or grilled shrimp-add whatever you have.
4. Add a healthy fat: either 1 small avocado or 1 Tbsp. of sliced black olives.
5. Optional: add 1/2 cup of healthy grains such as brown rice, quinoa, etc.
6. To spice it up, add sunflower seeds or nuts.
7. If dairy is not an issue, add 1-2 ounces of feta, gouda, mozzarella or your favorite cheese.
8. Sprinkle with lemon juice, black pepper and sea salt.
Enjoy! This is easy to bring to work or on the road because you do not need to reheat it. Don’t forget your fork!
*The information on this site is designed for educational purposes only and has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Thank you!
~by Kimberly Olson