This Arab salad is traditionally made with bulgur, which is a form of wheat that contains gluten. I wanted a gluten-free option that tasted just as good, if not better!
- 4 cups low-sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup dry Buckwheat or Quinoa
- 2 cups fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, 1 Cucumber, 1 Carrot & 3 Green Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt
1. Bring broth to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add in buckwheat or quinoa and simmer for about 20 minutes (less time for quinoa).
2. Place all veggies in a large bowl. Drain the cooked grains and discard broth. Add to bowl.
3. Pour the lemon juice and olive oil over the veggie grain mixture and season with pepper and salt. Mix well and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 8 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Nutritional Content per serving:
Calories: 193 Protein: 7g Carbs: 42g Fats: 2g Sugar: 6g Fiber: 6g
~by Kimberly Olson