Back to school means back to packing school lunches. But instead of sending your kids off to school with money for the cafeteria, check out these much healthier options!
Swap the Sandwich
- Taco Salad: combine crushed corn chips, black beans (seasoned with chili powder, cumin, pepper and/or salt), chopped lettuce, cheese, guacamole and chopped tomato
- Pita Roll Ups: spread hummus over one whole wheat tortilla, add a layer of salsa, then top with diced chicken or deli turkey; add any veggies such as shredded carrots and peppers and roll up
- Brown Rice Sushi Rolls: watch video
- Hard-Boiled Eggs: get recipe
- DIY Trail Mix: get recipe
- Corn Chips & Guacamole: this is an easy way to make it gluten free but definitely get organic corn chips or look for the non-GMO label
Sneak in the Fruits/Veggies
- Fruit Salad: chop up any fruit you have on hand and combine (bananas, pears, apples, peaches and nectarines usually only stay good for a day or two, fyi)
- Veggies & Hummus: choose any veggies such as carrots, celery, grape tomatoes, snap peas and pair with hummus (you can buy the veggies pre-cut if short on time)
- Green Smoothie: get recipe
- Granola Bars: here is my homemade recipe otherwise look for ones that have organic ingredients such as Annie’s
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins: get recipe
- Kid-Friendly Snacks: luckily there are decent options at the grocery store; I like any of these or the Mamma Chia line
Skip the Sugary Sodas
- Flavored Water: Add slices of lemon, lime or orange to a water bottle or even try berries
- Juice Boxes: if you go this route, go with an organic choice such as Honest Kids
- Sparkling Water: I love recommending this if you’re trying to transition from sodas; try Cascade Ice
Like this post? Check out my 21 Days 2 a New You Program and see how you can get my book for free!
*The information on this site is designed for educational purposes only and has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug
Administration. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this
information to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or
*In addition, there are affiliate links throughout this site and I may receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you!