Just like me, you’ve probably spent your whole life just seeing pumpkins as an opportunity to carve them for Halloween festivities. But not anymore! I’m going to show you how easy it is to swap canned pumpkin for fresh, pure and amazingly delicious pumpkin purée! Not to mention that pumpkin is a superfood, woo hoo!
- 1 whole Pumpkin
Note: the smaller the pumpkin, the sweeter it will be-I used a regular Jack-o-Lantern size, so watch your cooking times based on the size you have
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill glass baking dish or cookie sheet with a layer of water.
- Cut off the stem by slicing the top off. Very cautiously, split the pumpkin in half with a sharp knife, slicing stem down.
- Scoop out the seeds and membranes, set aside. You can definitely roast those pumpkin seeds for a delicious treat!
- Place the pumpkin halves face down in the baking dish or on the cookie sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. You will know it is done when you can easily pierce the pumpkin with a fork.
- Take the pumpkin halves out and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Use a spoon or your fingers to pull the peel off. Discard.
- Cut the flesh into large chunks and place into a blender. Blend until smooth. Use in any of the recipes listed below or throw into your daily smoothie to replace banana. Enjoy!
*The information on this site is designed for educational purposes only and has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Thank you!
~by Kimberly Olson